If you've never had southern style caramelized pralines, you're missing a real treat! They'll make you close your eyes, nod your head, and wriggle with delight. When we decided to add the caramelized pralines gourmet candle to our candle line, we kept in mind how you absolutely had to get every single element into the candle.
Home made caramelized pralines cannot be duplicated by any store. As you get closer north, pralines aren't seen as much, and if you can find them, they can't touch the home made pralines, so it's simply not worth the time. If you ever want to have a really good idea of what southern style pralines are like, you have to go to the deep south. Otherwise, here's a great Louisiana Caramelized Pralines recipe I'd like to share from Food.com that will knock your socks off!
It's no secret that you can quickly become addicted to these, so make them with caution. If you don't feel like making them at home, you won't regret making an online purchase from the Savannah, Georgia's River Street Sweets shop. They're very popular for their outstanding pralines.
Louisiana Caramelized Pralines (Courtesy of Food.com)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups pecans (chopped, may use plain or toasted)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place 2 cups sugar & milk in a large saucepan. Cook slowly, stirring often.
- At the same time, put the other cup of sugar in a 2nd saucepan on low heat & stir till melted.
- Pour 2nd mixture slowly into the sugar & milk that should be ready to boil & stir while adding.
- Cook slowly till a firm ball forms when dropped into cold water (238°) & remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, pecans & butter. Stir till mixture begins to thicken.
- To avoid sticking as experienced by the 1st reviewer using waxed paper which was given as an option -- drop by spoonfuls in desired size onto a lightly sprayed baking sheet or buttered cookie sheet (candies should set up immediately).
See how the pros make the at the Famous River Street Sweets.